How aware are you of the varieties of art? Art is a form of music, photography, playing musical instrument, etc. But when we talk about art the first thing that strikes our mind is painting! Have you heard about canvas painting?
Painting itself is something that lets you be ‘YOU’. You are free to decide what lines will go where and what abstractness you wish to put in the paper. This is how you calm your soul and free your mind of all the pressures of regularity. Thus, painting exists in the universe, in the earth, in the mind and everywhere! All you need to do is be able to express it in a thing that becomes visible to everyone.
Canvas painting is one of the dominating painting style that have been the interest of many people nowadays. This is a step ahead of regular painting in a sheet. The approach of expressing the thoughts in paper is vivid when it is about canvas painting. If you are a beginner or an intermediate, you are in the right place to learn some shortcuts, techniques, and finally the painting examples to imitate to modify.
You need to keep a thing in mind, nobody is ever a professional in a canvas painting. Art is not a platform for professionalism. You are constantly learning, till the very end. Therefore, do not hesitate to learn today.
DEFINITION & INTRODUCTION TO CANVAS PAINTING!
Canvas is actually a drawing surface which is nothing similar to a drawing paper sheet. It is prepared by stretching clothe that is suitable or absorbs paint on a board. The fabric that is used for painting should be unbleached clothe that can be tighten up the surface of a board. It is specially prepared for oil painting.
Canvas painting has certain rules and regulations as it is different from the regular painting. You need to determine the painting in your head first and finally into the fabric. This will require determining what style you like to express and your unique thoughts as well.
Your imagination can be amazingly expressed if you stick to the procedure, correct material, good guidance, patience, and practice.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF CANVASES?
As there has been evolution in regular canvas painting, the artists have come up with several ideas for replacing the ordinary canvas. There are varieties of paints that painters work with. The same canvas cannot fit for all kind of paints. For example, if there is tempera, oil canvas is useless. Similarly, if there is oil paint, you cannot use an absorbent canvas for that. Sometimes Universal canvases can be used for both oil paint as well as the acrylic paint. But make sure, each canvases are well glued before any kind of painting.
Generally we talk about three types of canvases. They are oil canvas, absorbent canvas, and Universal canvas. Find out more about them below:
In order to prepare an oil canvas, zinc white should be used as primer along with a linseed oil to bind the zinc white. Once the primer is all set, drying is to be done for not less than three days. For drying, natural air can be used. Then, the canvas is applied by coating layer that has titanium white. Again, drying has to be done for not less than ten days. This is how an oil canvas is prepared and is ready to work in.
In order to prepare an absorbent canvas, we will require chalk as the first layer of primer. After that the layer of chalk is bound with glue based on the skins of rabbit. You can use a dry oven to get all the wetness out because the wetness is solely because of water. Thus, after entire evaporation, that depends upon the amount of water it has or the quality of drying oven.
There is not much of a difference with the preparation of an absorbent canvas and Universal canvas. The only difference is the two primer layers are to be based with titanium white. With Universal canvas, both acrylic as well as oil paint can be applied. Hence, the name. Moreover, the drying time depends upon the amount of wetness it has and the quality of drying oven.
WHAT PAINTS ARE PREFERRED ON DIFFERENT CANVASES?
It is always a question on what paints to be applied on different canvases. This depends upon you, and your matter of choice along with comfort. If you are a beginner always begin with acrylic paint. The reason behind using an acrylic paint for the first canvas is its easiness to be handled. Moreover, it can be diluted without any hesitation and yet maintain the required consistency.
The best thing about acrylic paint is that, one can apply a good amount of water to make it dilute and change the consistency, but once it is dried, it becomes water proof. It does not always have to be water to change the consistency, but instead one can use gel, media, acrylic paste or even different colored acrylic paints.
Using an oil paint is a tough challenge. But once you are comfortable and easy with acrylic paint, you can switch to oil paints. Moreover, absorbent paints are also referred to the intermediates and not the beginners because of its complexity to work with for the first time.
ARE YOU A BEGINNER IN CANVAS PAINTING?
There are certain rules and regulations one need to follow if one is a newbie in canvas painting. These are actually the instructions that will help you to be a good canvas painter and with lesser efforts. You need to keep this in mind that, if you follow the correct instructions and give the required efforts, you need not have to be a student of art or be a painter, and still get the amazing result.
As already stated canvas painting as an abstract form of art, thus, it is for every level of skill with least supply list. Either be a simple hill or beach paint, or be a specific object, you will be able to put a good finish to it. For a beginner, you need to start with acrylic paint and not jump into oil or absorbent paint at once.
After you have painted your canvas, you can add a frame to it and make it a wall decor. This will make your canvas painting a stunning one. You will be able to look at it more often & also appreciate it.
You also should be very picky with the paint brush. Make sure you have a right one. Do not jump into using other objects like tooth brush or some card pieces to replace the default paint brush. Later on, you can do that.
IDEAS FOR UNIQUE CANVAS PAINTING!
Are you all set? Did you collect all the materials essential for making a canvas painting? Do you already have something in your mind that you want to draw on a canvas? If not, these ideas might provide you a rough sketch to what actually you want to begin with. Don’t let your canvas stay blank at the end of the day! If you are feeling trouble with finding a draft for your canvas, look at all these ideas provided below. Let us make your thinking more convenient.
- Self made canvas with acrylic paint to form a small canvas painting with a vibrant result
- A beginner’s canvas painting of a simpler beach, waves, and plane blue sky that opens door to other complex canvas paintings
- Canvas painting to express a quote with beautiful yet simple designs and patterns with simple acrylic paint
- Abstract canvas painting with the help of an oil paint in a stiff absorbing fabric upon a hard board that represents culture, or certain emotions relating a personal
- A simple one with either an acrylic, absorbent or Universal paint to decorate a rather simpler drawing with exotic colors and emotions
- A beginner’s choice painting that has amazing and unique colors prepared upon a canvas that has its own stand to act like a decorating body
- A beginner’s idea for decorating a canvas with rather simpler pattern or sketch that has an amazing finish and you need not explain about the canvas as it is self expressing type of
- A perfect decor for your bed room where you can add up your text quote and nothing fancy or complex, which still gives the amazing finish
- Are you a beginner and want to dedicate a canvas painting to your child? This has to be an amazing idea which is rather simpler with a lot of colors expressing the positive vibes.
- Once you have been able to learn the use of colors for specific things, you can turn the painting like this. You can use a worn out tooth brush to give that spiky ends.
- The best way to keep your canvas painting simple, meaningful, and beautiful is to add a quote or a text along some random colorful background just like this one. It can be used as a constant source of motivation.
- Sometimes you can take your canvas painting as a hard surface background to stick some other things and making some unique craft out of it just like this one in the picture below.
- Sometimes abstract looks simple but is not as simple as it seems. A perfect combination of paint and patterns will only give a fine result like this. It requires a lot of dedication and time.
- This one is again one of the examples of simple yet beautiful abstract canvas painting that looks amazing. You need to be able to use right colors and give a good finish. If you are adding different colors one above the other, you need to let the initial colors to dry before you begin adding other above, to avoid the mess.
- Using cottons or sponge to create different texture to make the simpler things look vibrant and amazing. You can always add up white color to show the missing light on the painting.
- Have you ever tried painting the entire canvas with a single color? Check this out. All it has is black acrylic paint. You need to add different amount of water to make the black paint fainter for making the sky. This is a must try idea for canvas painting lovers.
- Ever thought of doodling with the canvas painting? If not, check this out. Once you are done with the back ground painting, you can let it dry and afterward, can add various doodles with the paints. It shows a creative side of you giving an amazing output.
- You can use acrylic paints to not just fill up the outlines but also to form the outlines itself. The beautiful flowers in greens will only look amazing with proper outlines just like in the picture.
- In this canvas painting you see the amazing patterns of the blue ocean in a canvas. This shows a beautiful inside of a blue depth of water. After the painting is dried, some figures have been pasted to give it an amazing finishing.
- The patterns of yellow, red and orange to form this blood like painting or something similar to fire is mind blowing. You can use sticks in a flooded canvas of colors to create such patterns. Find out more with a Youtube tutorial.
- This rooster is painted over a rough canvas with an absorbent paint. The application of light colors have made it more exotic and the use of white color at the end adds a lot of charm to the painting. This looks amazing yet difficult.
- Here the use of a simple absorbing fabric has made this owl look really beautiful with use of minimum acrylic paint. The use of bright colors have added a lot of beauty to the canvas painting.
- Instead of using some regular fabric, you can go creative and try one of the logs to paint the end just like this one. The absorbing is quite good in the woods making your acrylic or absorbent paint stick well without any mess. The results are outstanding.
- Sometimes a messed up canvas painting is also a masterpiece! All you need to do is randomly mix the colors to form certain sketch just like this one! The use of colors will determine the final result.
- Texture in the painting comes from either the surface of the canvas or the paint itself. Some kind of 3D texture can be added with a paint, but if the surface itself is quite rough, then the painting will be amazing.
- A simple watermelon piece in a canvas with a lot of corrections to make it realistic.
- It is a unique canvas painting where minimum colors are used to create certain shapes which give a beautiful output. With even the minimum use of paints, you can form something unique like this.
- When the abstract is beautiful the result is something like this! This has a lot of shapes and some abstract lines with so beautiful color combination and black outlines to each shape!
- Ever heard of Mandala? Even the Mandalas are possible in a canvas painting. You will be able to draw a lot of patterns. This one has white dots over the black background.
- The Mandala does not always have to be black and white. You are free to add different colors just like in this canvas painting. With a beautiful combination of colors, the result is a splendid one. Just look at this beauty!
- Canvas paintings are mostly popular for natural scenes. It can either be beach side or riverside, be in a jungle or greens, be in an open sky or blues, the result is outstanding just like one in the picture below.
SOME RANDOM IMAGES | CANVAS PAINTING
Here you can find some random canvas paintings which will help you to get an idea to begin a new canvas painting today! Make it to the end!
TO THE END…
If you have made it here, that means you have made it to the end. Did you find some ideas or are you now more aware of what you think you should paint? Probably yes. The definition of canvas painting, the type of paints to be used, the types of canvases to be used, and some ideas at the end might have come handy!
An entire guide for the beginner has been provided and for the intermediate and pro, there are certain images which will be useful. With these images, your ideas will be enhances as well as you will be able to think in this way. The creativity is determined by the way you modify these art forms to form a new canvas painting!
Try any of these ideas but you need to stick to the rules and regulations as mentioned. Without following certain procedure, you are unable to grab a right direction to canvas painting, specially when you are a beginner!