Are you not looking for a flower bed ideas? But well, all you need to also know is which flower blooms at which part of the year to get your imagination some base line. Flower bed has become one of the most trending garden activity that requires a lot of guidelines and sometimes also the help of the professionals.
We are somehow interested in flower bed and wish to have a wonderful self designed flower bed in our garden. Guess what? Here you will find the ultimate guide to your very own flower bed beginning from the start to the very end. If you are really interested into forming your beautiful flower bed or wish to help someone out with this business, you need to have a lot of information on botany. Because, this will be your first step towards a beautiful end.
Flowers are a bit moody, right? They bloom at varying times and depending upon the season, temperature, climate, humidity, and everything. You need to design a flower bed depending upon the colors of the flowers as well. Because that is where the charm comes from.
You need to keep it on mind that your flower bed should not end up with zero flowers blooming at certain time of the year. Therefore, you should pick the flowers plant in the way that there are some flowers if not in all the plants then at least in some, this will keep the balance. And when the maximum flowers are blooming, the bed will look marvelous. What about the time of dedication? What about the patterns of colors? How about the designs to pick for the vase or the base of the flower pot? Stick with us to find out ideas on every topic that will come under the flower bed!
INTRODUCTION & DEFINITION:
Do you know what a flower bed is? It is a region in your garden where you wish to form a special place for your flowers to occupy the area with varieties of flower plants and some other designs. It simply is a display of beautiful flowers that hold certain area of your garden.
If you find it really laborious or time taking to build a proper flower bed, then you are doing it wrong. There are plenty of ideas that will help you build one with no time. But, yes, constant eye keeping is required. You can use mulching idea for allowing maximum moisture to stay in your flower bed. Moreover, you can apply some parasitic plants that will reduce the growth of the grass making it easier for you to clean the garden.
There are varieties of types that you can include in your flower bed. Either be entirely herbs or knot, you can choose any type of it. If you plan to add some edible herbs in your flower bed, this will be useful in double ways. Moreover, you can add either wildflower, seed assortment, or even the flowers with combined perennial and biennials.
Nowadays, designers have brought a new definition to a flower bed, making it a flower bed in a box! This idea lets you decorate certain structure entirely with flower plants. You can select any kind of structure and form certain holes for each flower plants. This will make your garden look beautiful. You can get several ideas about it which will make your garden look modern and unique.
ORIGIN OF FLOWER GARDEN:
When people became civilized and started to separate their lands for living, they started to decorate it. When you talk about decoration, you cannot miss flowers. Because of its beautiful appearance and smell, it has been used for decorating from the start of the civilization. In the very beginning, people or farmers only planted the plants that provided food to them. Thus, flower plants being useless, were considered weeds and chopped of to make enough space for the other food plants.
But as the flowers are appealing to the eyes and some of them have really good smell, they were left behind to grow. This is how a flower garden got its space in the garden. After that, people started to plant them for its beauty and smell. Some were also discovered as medicines, and slowly everyone started getting their own mini flower beds.
Starting as a weed, and ending up at every home because of its beauty and smell, flowers then became the part of celebrations and festivals. With the demand increasing everyday, horticulture began, letting people sell the flowers and earn money out of it.
With the demand of flowers, people became more picky with the flower plants and also began to develop new ideas to make the flower beds more unique and beautiful. People began designing the gardens for commoners as profession and now there are plenty of ideas to build a flower bed with least effort and time, with beautiful result.
Today any simple flower garden is a flower bed and a little modification and uniqueness can be seen in every flower bed. The flower beds we have today are totally different than the ones we had in the nineteenth century.
HOW TO FORM A FLOWER BED?
Basically a flower bed does not require anything besides a flower pot or simply soil surface along with some flower plants. But you are probably not wishing to have a grand mother style flower bed in the garden, right? You need not have to make the flower beds boring and ordinary if a little effort can bring mind blowing changes in the beds.
You can form something that is more than simple predictable flower bed. For that you will require a list of flower bed ideas. This will be similar for either herbs, vegetables, or shrubs. The list of layouts, unique planters recycled with ordinary household things, some props for unique utilization, etc. will make your flower bed really beautiful!
You can use a lot of things to make flower pots. It can be from the old plastic bottles, wrappers, suitcases, bowls, etc. You can form your own pots with cement and sand. With a little bit of paint coat, the pots will look fabulous. You can choose either bright colors or the dark ones, flower bed will be amazing.
There are bamboos for making it your vertical flower garden. Moreover, flower plant trays are also available that will let you grow a lot of flowers in small space. Therefore, the size of a yard is never a problem! With the least space, maximum flowers can be grown these days. There are certain props that can be used for making the vertical garden for all your flower plants.
You are reflecting your personality, talent, and choices with your flower beds, thus you need to be gentle with that. Do not compromise or stick to the ordinary designs when you can have a large variety to choose from.
PROCEDURE FOR FORMATION OF FLOWER BED:
STEP 1: DEVELOPMENT OF THE BED
In order to make a good bed, you need to first mark out the outline before cutting it. Else, the cutting might be rough and useless. If you still choose to make a free hand cut, you might miss the beautiful curves or corners. You need to make sure that the bed is two feet deep for the plants to stay firmly in place. This is how to guess your plant end points. You can mark the outline of the bed with a rope such that you can move it while you want to prepare the soil. In order to cut the outline, use a D handled straight hoe for quite good finishing.
STEP 2: PREPARATION OF THE SOIL
After your bed is ready, you need to prepare the soil. For that, tilling soil is required. First of all, loosen the soil, then add some nutrients if the soil does not have it initially. Prefer adding organic compost to the soil. If you have no idea about the soil nutrients, do not add any, else you can add after the soil test is done. Make around a 12 inch of tilling and then add a thick layer of compost to around 5 inches or 10 inches maximum.
Even after this, the entire result should be a soft and loose soil bed. You can take the soil out with a small handheld equipment and for compact soil, use a long handled garden cultivator. Mix the soil well before any kind of plantation. Adding fertilizers should be done with at the rate of two big cups for every hundred feet of bed. You need to follow up the instructions because the instructions might differ with the type of fertilizer.
STEP 3: SUPPLIES OF PLANTING TIME
This is the most important part and for most people also the fun part. If you do not take this step seriously, you will be left with no plants let alone flowers. There are various supplies essential for planting. But the supplies can vary according the kind of a plant you are trying to plant. It can be either seeds, bulbs, a tiny plant, or even just a stem to begin the plantation with.
If you are trying to plant it in a pot which is less than one quart, you will require a gardening towel. If the pot is larger than that, you might require a narrow shovel to dig the holes for the plants. You need not forget to water the plants once you have stuck them in the pots. Watering is one of the most important step which you will be keeping under this topic. You can add three to four inches of mulch which has to be organic if possible. This can include wood chips to some straws which will regulate the temperature of soil and reduce evaporation and maintain the moisture.
STEP 4: REGULAR CARE SUPPLIES
Regular care supplies are the supplies essential when the plants begin to bloom flowers. The tools that might come handy for grooming are plenty. They can include scissors to trim the plant or shape it. Some handheld weeding tools are essential to dig out the weeds from around your flower plants. You can add a soaker or a drip hose at the flower plant base in order to avoid regular manual watering or to schedule the watering time. This will also help to reduce over flooding and make minimum use of water.
STEP 5: SOMETHING MORE
There are certain things that are not the fundamental things but will surely help you out with the grooming of the flower beds. The most popular yet not that important tool would be gardening gloves. Yes, you are used to doing it without the gloves, but with these gloves, you will be able to protect your hand from getting sore, cracked and even diseases. This will avoid blisters.
And, why not a wheel cart? If you have to carry a lot of plants or other garden stuffs even to a little distance, it becomes messy and problematic. Thus, wheel cart is also one of the popular garden companion. If its summer, you also need to keep yourself free from sun burn, thus, get a hat for yourself. You need to use things to make your gardening thing a hobby and not as a job. This will surely help you stay in that garden for more time and make you more creative.
IDEAS FOR FLOWER BED:
There are more so many ideas when it comes to forming a flower bed. No matter if you have a little space in your yard, or very little flower plants with you, you can still form some beautiful flower beds. Check out these following ideas:
- If you literally have zero space on the yard, or there exists no yard, all you can do is, use the walls to hang the flower pots. You need to use some strong threads to tie up the flower pots such that the pots are all covered with the plants, and making it look like the flowers are sticking to the wall. This is what people do in the cities.
- For a house with a huge front yard or a back yard, you can add as many flower plants as you wish. If you are willing to cover a park with flowers to sit on, you can plant the flowers forming it like a bar just like in the picture below.
- You can build your own pots out of concrete. All you require is some cement, sand, water, and mould. You can form any shape and make your garden look more beautiful!
- Ever though of using your old vehicle like this? If not, think twice. This is how you add a charm in your yard along with recycling.
- You can plant different colors of flowers in a space such that once they bloom, they will surprise all with the type of color combination it will have.
- Even the little space in the yard can be utilized for amazing flower bed if correct flower plants are chosen. Just like in this picture, one can make color combination to amaze the beauty of blooming flowers.
- If you really want to dedicate a lot of time in your yard with flower grooming, then you can go with difficult flower bed idea like this one in the picture. You can divide the yard into many portions and add up different color flower plants in each one.
- Why not form your garden into a park? Sometimes even some trees or shrubs look amazing in the flower bed. Just like one in the picture.
- This one basically is the starting phase where you prepare the flower bed, till the soil and planting still remains. You can see the creativity of using some bicycle wheels for forming a bar to your flower bed. Such a creative idea!
- And how about this? The core idea is to not let anything become a waste. Try it!
- You can literally use anything! Either to form flower pots or create your own barrier! Amazing ideas come from the wastes and while you are in your yard.
- Making use of used plastic or glass bottles to form either pots or bars have been really common among the gardeners. The colorful bottles itself add the beauty to the flower plants and also help to recycle them.
- With some concrete, you can form any structure you like and there are no boundaries or rules to it.Break the rules even if there are any and go creative with the concrete to make your own kind of flower bed.
- You can add some name tags, some bars within a garden, or also some artificial structures to make it look more beautiful!
- How about using the wires or threads along with some raw sticks to form a bar like this? Not bad, and cheap as well.
- The results are outstanding when the ropes or wires are used.
IMAGE GALLERY | FLOWER BED
These were some ideas for your flower bed. Either modify one of these or imitate depending upon what flower plants you wish to grow, what size of yard you have, and also something that will reflect your personality!